In Indian tradition no one can ignore the use of honey because of its health benefits and medical efficacy. It’s unbelievable to know that honey is regularly used for wound healing purpose in many hospital. But the fresh honey is more important and effective than the pasteurized honey available in the counter. Using the pasteurization process in higher temperatures some harmful Yeast being killed and the colour , longevity of honey being increased and in that purposes most of the naturally present bioactive nutrients get destroyed. So it is better to avoid the pasteurized honey. The genius health benefits of honey are
1. It’s the great source of vitamin and antioxidants. There are several phytochemicals in honey which work as antioxidant in human. The antioxidants present in fruit and vegetables are also present in honey. The antioxidants present in honey are the polyphenols which can prevent many types of heart decreases and cancer.
2. Honey is antibacterial and antifungal in action. Many researchers confirmed that hydrogen peroxide is present in honey for that reason bacteria and viruses die after eating this honey.
3. Honey heals wound. Wound healing get faster with honey. Honey control infection and aid new cell reproduction.
4. It’s a good source of some important phytonutrients. The phytonutrients present in plants protect the plant from ultra violet rays of sunlight and from other insects. The same phytonutrients in honey act as antioxidant, antibacterial and antifungal in human body.
5. Regulate great digestion in human. Eating honey prevent diarrhea and kills helicobacter pylori entering in the stomach and duodenum, there by preventing peptic ulcer syndrome. Also honey supplies nutrition to the good bacteria in the gut.
6. Good remedy for cough and cold. Sore throat, cough and cold can be healed by eating honey. Honey acts like the modern medicine dextromethorphan , many researchers confirmed.
Health hazards of honey :-
Though there are several useful nutrients present in honey naturally, there may be a harmful bacteria clostridium botulinum present in honey naturally. This bacteria may cause diarrhea in infants below one year. So it is better to avoid honey for infants below one year. Another symptoms of this bacteria infection in infants may be constipation, breathing difficulty, unsteady head and sometimes paralysis may occur.
In adults botulism may show symptoms like vomiting , loose motions and muscle dystrophy.